It’s rare that I’m totally satisfied with how one of my projects turns out – my vision usually outruns my abilities. I fully expected that to be the case this time, too. Especially since I’d never tried dyeing before.
Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sport, “Blackberry”
But I was determined to give it a go, because this just wasn’t the contrast I was looking for:
I did some testing to see which dye I wanted to use to overdye. I had initially assumed I would go with the “Plum Dandy,” but I am so glad I did a test first, because it turned out that the Deep Maroon actually achieved the color I was looking for.
Having figured out which dye to use, I got to work. Bye-bye beautiful purple “Blackberry”:
(I do love the original color, it just wasn’t what I wanted for this project)
Even though I had done some sampling, I still wasn’t prepared for how completely perfect the yarn was going to turn out for me.
I mean, seriously. This is exactly what I wanted.
A deep, semi-solid, plummy purple. It practically glows.
It provides a perfect contrast for my handspun.
(the dark spots were actually already in the yarn before I overdyed)
There are only two problems now.
1 – It seems a shame to use such a pretty yarn for contrast cuffs, heels, and toes for socks – it’s going to be covered up most of the time!
2 – I really do feel like I have possibly fallen down the rabbit hole of a new hobby….
Oh wow, it is perfect!
Thanks, Annika! I can’t even believe my luck!
Wow, it came out great! Just remember, you can dye more of this!
It was beautiful before but the after is divine!