It’s not that I don’t have plenty in my queue already, things that I meant to be working on by now. It’s just that occasionally I will see something that inspires me and gets into my head so far that I can’t do anything but pick up the sticks and knit it. Right. Now.
Such was the case when I saw Monkey’s Hat of Many Colors, over at gimmesanity. I’ve had that book for three years now, but never once considered actually attempting that hat – colorwork scares me, y’all, no matter how little there is – until I beheld Monkey’s. I knew right away that Little Buddha would love a hat like that, and I knew I had plenty of yarn in my stash to choose from. So I packed up a variety of colors to take on our 2300-mile car trip and away we went.
The end result:
pattern: Almost-Famous Luggy Bonnet, from Weekend Knitting
yarn: a mix of Wool of the Andes, Swish Superwash, and Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Worsted
needles: size 7
cast on: November 24
finished: December 1
modifications: My gauge was drastically different from that of the pattern because I was using worsted yarn, not DK. So I computed how many stitches I needed for LB’s head and picked the size in the pattern that corresponded with that (baby – 6-18 months). Even so, it is a bit loose. Also, I didn’t care for the point that the original pattern calls for at the top of the head. So I decreased at a faster rate to try for a more rounded look. Unfortunately, the combination of my strange tension in the stranded area and my decreases yielded a little more of a box top than a round top. The other modification, if you can even call it that, is that I knit this in the round. Frankly, I couldn’t see any reason not to. Oh, and I added little ties at the bottom of the earflaps, just like the ones I saw at GAP Kids recently. And I only did a single reverse crochet to finish (crab stitch) instead of the double reverse crochet called for.
notes: I should’ve used a bigger hook for the crochet edge. I also should have followed height directions for 6-18 months instead of making it a bit taller. It’s nearly too big. And obviously next time I will do the top differently, though I haven’t decided exactly how – but I don’t want the little point at the top for sure. I’m also working on loosening my tension with the stranding.
verdict: It’s a *huge* hit. Tiny Dancer immediately wanted one for himself, just like it (I had a different hat in mind for him, but am making another one of these instead.
Oh, the reason I call it the first pancake is because you know how that one always turns out – not quite right. I’m hoping the rest of the batch (in this case, only one more hat – for now!) will turn out perfectly! Still, I’m pretty pleased. I may be even getting over my fear of colorwork at the same time I’m increasing my crochet skills.