1. Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which makes me happier than you’d think, and I have no idea why. According to the Pirate Name Generator, my pirate name is Cap’n Shakira Dullblade. For staff meeting today, I made little signs for all the staff with their pirate names (shoutin’ out to Fruity Lindsey Hornigold!). My husband, Ambiguous Edward Dregg, was not nearly as amused as I was. Somehow, that made it even more hilarious. But the best part of Talk Like a Pirate Day was that as I walked across the U-M campus, I actually saw a student dressed from head-to-toe like a pirate. Except for his backpack. I love Ann Arbor. ARRRRGH!
2. Every day I ask the boys what they want to be for Halloween, though they have no idea what Halloween is. Every day Tiny Dancer tells me, “a pig and a lion.” I love this, because it is an unexpected answer and an incongruous pairing. He wants to be the pig and he wants Little Buddha to be the lion (which is what LB was last year). Today, Little Buddha said, “a pig and a giraffe.” No way am I trying to put together a giraffe costume. So I’ve been trying to convince them to go for a pig and a cow, which would be a believable pairing, and not too hard for mommy to make. But neither wants to be the cow, or the giraffe, or the lion. They both want to be the pig. So I think we’re going to have two pigs for Halloween. I think I’ll get pink sweatsuits, try to sew little corkscrew tails on, and buy snouts. So all I have to figure out is the headpiece. I could just do a headband and make some ears to attach to it. Or I could try to sew a hood with ears on it. My latest thought is to knit the Kittyville hat from SnB but to knit it in pink so it would look like pig ears. Thoughts? Suggestions?
3. My new babysitter won’t be here tomorrow because she’s going to be on Oprah! It’s a segment on motherhood, and she wrote a letter to the show and they liked it well enough to invite her. How cool is that?
4. I have a mental block on my lace inset cardigan. I’ve seamed the shoulders but have been hesitant to move forward with the collar. I’m daunted. So I’ve taken a tiny break and have started a scrunchable scarf (toddler size) in the Malabrigo Azul Profundo. I wish I had more than one skein of this colorway (an impulse buy at an LYS in Atlanta last spring). I looooove it. Of course when I showed it to LB and told him I was making it for him, his response was, “Red!”
5. I got my hair chopped off today. Well, chopped for me (about five inches).
It feels so fun to have short(er) hair! And I’m thrilled to finally find someone in A2 who can cut curly hair. [Please pretend like I’m not a total dork for standing by myself in my little bathroom doing a photo shoot of myself.]
I found your blog when I googled “cozy shawl” 🙂 I started my own a week or so ago. All’s well so far; I’m about halfway done with it. I love your haircut. Mine’s about the same length, and almost as curly. I’m wanting to know what hair products you use! How do you get your great curls with no frizz??
Your hair looks so cute! Can’t wait to see it in person.
I was having a seriously awesome time talking like a pirate today (and watching pirate movies!) and I’m kind of sad it’s over. (Me pirate name be Calico Jenny, yarrr!) I’m totally planning to make some Arrrgyles for next year now. 😀
Two little pigs is adorable! That’s the best pairing of all, in my opinion. The Kittyville hats would be super cute, but if you don’t want to invest that kind of time, I think headbands would be fine.
Your hair, as usual, looks fantastic!
My gosh, you have great hair! It took me 6 years in Cleveland to find someone I could trust to cut my hair.
Your hair looks great! And I love the pirate names. 🙂
Your hair looks fab!I am growing mine out! I just got it trimmed a way that it will grow out nicely. The first time I am attempting to go shoulder length or beyond in 11 years!
Your hair looks wonderful! I can’t wait to have shorter hair again. I think your boys would be adorable as 2 little pigs!
Great curls! I’m currently growing my hair–it’s very short. While mine is curly like yours, the all-over curl pattern is inconsistent. I envy your curls. Great cut!
I’m totally cracking up at you spreadin’ the pirate love at work! That sounds like fun and I bet the staff loved it — even if Mr. Dregg didn’t fully appreciate the humor!
I LOVE your hair!
Want to know what day I’m excited about? National Punctuation Day, Sunday September 24.
No, really, I’m serious. I’m very excited about this.